Inclusive Islam Lecture Series
Muslims for Progressive Values partnered with Islamic Scholar and Imam Ludovic Zahed to produce and host a workshop tour entitled "Inclusive Islam: Is LGBTQI Halal?" in June, 2018. The workshop series featured groundbreaking lectures that explored the ways in which the sacred texts of Islam affirm and justify human rights. In it, Imam Ludovic shows the way to an understanding of Islam that affirms all people, challenges the dominant homophobic narrative; and, crucially, is historically, theologically, and spiritually authentic.
Sexuality/Diversity in Islam – A Literary Zikr Project
On behalf of Muslims for Progressive Values, Tynan Power produced an adaptation of "Sexual Diversity in Islam: Is there room in Islam for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Muslims?" This Literary Zikr Project was produced in 2010, and is adapted from the chapter “Sexuality, Diversity, and Ethics in the Agenda of Progressive Muslims” by Dr. Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle in Progressive Muslims (ed. Omid Safi). Dr. Kugle shows that Islam supports many kinds of diversity—and that sexual and gender diversity in particular were acknowledged in the Qur’an and by the Prophet Muhammad(PBUH). He shows that common punishments for homosexuality in Islamic countries have no basis in the Qur’an or sunnah (the record of the exemplary life of the Prophet Muhammad). Dr. Kugle’s work shows that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Muslims do indeed deserve a place in Islam. The project was generously funded by Human Rights Campaign.
LGBTQI Lecture Series
In partnership with Imam Daayiee Abdullah, Muslims for Progressive Values presents a lecture series that seeks to dismantle the religious justification for homophobia in Muslim communities with medical, social and religious history. We have also included self-empowerment and mental health tips for LGBTQI Muslims.
LGBTQI Resource Organizations
- Arabs for Tolerance
- Bedayaa (Egypt & Sudan)
- CALEM (Europe)
- CLGS – Pacific School of Religion
- H2M (France)
- Hidayah (UK)
- Human Rights Campaign
- Imaan (UK)
- London Queer Muslims - Sufi (UK)
- LGBT Muslim Retreat – Updates Yearly
- LGBT Muslims - Information on the Sexual Diversity of the Muslim Community
- Muslim Alliance for Sexual and Gender Diversity (MASGD)
- Safra Project (UK) - Archive Only
- Salaam Canada – Queer Muslim Community
- Seattle LGBTQI Muslims (Washington State)
- Secret Garden (Netherlands)
- The Health Initiative (Georgia, USA resource for LGBTQI Health)
- Islamic Healing Space of A2 & Ypsi (Michigan, USA, Muslim LGBT+ Safe Space)
- The Inner Circle (South Africa)
- The Queer Muslim Project (India)
- UK Black Pride – Updates Yearly
- Unitarian Universalist Association (International)
- AT Center LA (Los Angeles)
- Financial Aid Resources for LGBTQ Students (Affordablecolleges.com)
Note: These are external organizations not affiliated with MPV.
LGBTQI Information Resources
- Scott Siraj Al-Haqq Kugle - Homosexuality in Islam (Don’t forget! Choose Muslims for Progressive Values when you purchase the book on http://smile.amazon.com/ and Amazon will contribute a percentage to us!)
"Coming Home to Islam and to Self" - Human Rights Campaign
- Azza Sultan – Bedayyaa – No Change For Us Without Us (English and العربية)
- Samra Habib - Queer Muslim Project
- Olfa Youssef (translation by Amine Tais) - The Qur'an and Homosexuality
- Queer Ummah: A Visibility Project
- Religious Institute: National Faith Leaders' Statements on anti-LGBTQ Bills
To suggest additions/corrections, please Contact Us.